Athens, Ohio. To some, this means absolutely nothing. But to many, this means a home away from home – life-long friendships and memories. For the past three years, Athens has truly been my home away from home.
It was just three years ago that I was that nervous/anxious/excited freshman moving out of her parent’s house and into a dorm filled with complete strangers. Tears filled my eyes as my mom drove away and left me in that new town alone. Little did I know that that “new town” would soon be one of my favorite towns. Within days, I knew I had made the best decision in choosing Ohio University – I have my fellow bobcats to thank for that. Bobcats are special people. There was not a day that went by where I didn’t feel welcomed on campus. There was not a day that went by where a complete stranger didn’t smile or say hi as we passed on the streets. That right there, is something special. That right there, is family. Athens may be a small town, but the people within Athens have the biggest hearts.
Throughout my time in Athens, I kept a list of my favorite things, places, and memories that every bobcat can relate to:
- Washington Hall – my first home in Athens. It was here that I met my first friends at OU and made some of the best memories. East Green will forever be the best green!! ❤
- Nelson Dining Hall – thank you for your endless amounts of pasta, breakfast, and my all-time favorite, nelson brownies!!
- Shively Dining Hall – chicken nugget monday was the best day of the week
- Morton/Jeff Hill – thanks for all the blood, sweat, and tears…you will not be missed!!
- Court Street – need I say more?? Home to all the best restaurants and bars in the country!! I will miss you dearly.
- Stephen’s – please send me a life supply of your pesto pasta
- JBar – need I say more
- Pigskin – wish I would’ve found you sooner, but thanks for a fun couple months ily!!
- Cside – slice night, the patio, great music, my fav!!
- Burrito Buggy – many people hated you but you will always be a fav of mine ❤
- Bong Hill/Radar Hill – #views!!!
- Mill Street – don’t even know where to begin…basically thanks for all the laughs, cries, memories, and for always catching me when I fell ❤
- Slouvakis – mozz sticks and chili cheese fries!!! I will miss you most
- Obetty’s – best hot dogs in the whole world ❤
- Figleaf Boutique – spent all of my paychecks here NO SHAME
- The RFPD (retail/fashion) Program – gave me the best of friends that made it hardest to say goodbye
- Shoutout to these girls for my senior bar crawl – I wouldn’t have made it to all 18 bars without you!!
- Anything else I forgot because Athens truly is a magical place <33
To anyone reading this post that has never been to Athens, please get out your calendars and plan a trip. And yes, even if you have to fly there, you won’t regret it!! To anyone reading this post that still has time left in Athens, just know I want to be you and if you ever want someone to visit you, hit me up!!
Choosing a college is a big decision. My biggest advice I can give is to choose the college that feels like home. As soon as I set foot on OU’s campus, I knew it was the place for me. You WILL get that feeling, I promise. Of course I advise you to choose OU because I guarantee you will not regret it. The campus is beautiful, the people are beautiful (inside and out) and so welcoming, the food is SO GOOD, and you will make the best memories running the streets of Athens with your best friends.
“I’ve learned that your college friends become kind of family – you eat together, take naps together, fight, laugh, cry, and do absolutely nothing together until you can’t remember how you ever lived your life without them in the first place.” I found this quote my freshman year and didn’t really think much of it. Three years later and this quote could not be any more accurate.
Thank you Ohio University for the past three years. Thank you for giving me the education I will need to be successful. Thank you for giving me the best of friends. Thank you for the laughs, the cries, the adventures. Thank you for being my home away from home.
Until next time…